Friday, January 02, 2009

2008 Rocked and how...

It is time for the report of the year that ended a couple of days back. I must confess that the year 2008 turned out to be a landmark of sorts and it turned out to be far better than I had thought it would. I have already mentioned the happenings till June, the half year mark, as well as my birth month. June turned out to be fun. My encounter with good fortune continued and John Calderone form Outlook Delhi City Limits came to the blog… yes this very blog, and asked me to pen something for the magazine. It was kind of a full-circle moment for me… as after my college, when I was searching for a job, the magazine was one of the several places that I had approached. I was then told that I did not have enough experience to write for the magazine of that repute (what they were expecting of a fresher…I still fail to understand). I was overjoyed by John’s request for a capital letter and managed to write two for the magazine over the period of last six months… one in July and the other in September.
I went to Indore for my cousin Luv’s wedding in July. It was a great experience and I had loads of fun meeting so many of my relatives for the first time ever.
July 30 is a very special day for me as it is my mom’s birthday. It became even more special as I booked my first ever car on this very day. My black Spark arrived on August 17. I mastered the technique of driving and got my driving license in September. I was especially proud of myself for achieving this feat, i.e., getting the car and learning to drive on my own vehicle.
Parul and met loads of time throughout the year and it was always stupendous fun. Missed Gurneet a lot, but guess everyone has a role to play in one’s life. For now I am content to have friends to share loads of inane jokes, matters of heart that trouble me and to share the day to day stuff. Some others I must mention include Amitabh, who is a repository of books --- he has as a part of conversation helped me make a list of books that I want to read for the next 5 years,Yamini, who not only made yummy mouth-watering food but also bullied me and took care of me like an elder sister would, Mili, who is a very sweet and genuine person, Anjana, who is my age group and is someone I love to irritate. She deserves a medal for bearing me throughout the day, 5 days a week. Charu, one of the first people in NLI who helped get into the comfort zone and is today a good friend.
September saw me driving to Noida for the first time. I know for many this might seem a trivial thing but for me… it was an achievement as I drove back at the unearthly hour of 11 30pm for the first time in my life.
As you would have noticed most of my stories of the last six months revolve around my driving escapades. And so November was no different. The highlight of the month was an office party, my first official party. I dressed up and went all the way to the extreme south of the city for a party that had everything – ear blasting noise, drunk people, loads of fancy food, a dance floor (the main attraction for me n my friends) and the formalities that are an all essential part of an office set-up. Don’t let my cynical tone confuse you to think that I did not enjoy the night. I had a blast especially in noticing the change a nocturnal adventure can have bring about in normal colleagues. Not that I am complaining. It was fun, but in all probability I am done with office parties for some time at least.
Work during the months of October, November and part of December was too much and therefore killing. But then again something that doesn’t kill you makes you stronger and believing in this saying I’d like to claim that I am proud of myself for weathering the rough tide. 
December turned out to be quite eventful. I received my first award from Patty, or like she likes to call herself, Old Lady Lincoln for my Delhi Photo Diary. December 25 was an off, for everyone at office, which is a rarity when the firm in question deals with news. Everyone at office was super-excited and nice as all of us are, we decided that one off that all of us are getting, we should ensure that we spend with each other. We went for a one- day long visit to Agra, to see the Taj Mahal. I must confess that the trip would surely count amongst the best trips of my life. Our house in Gurgaon was finally allotted and we went to see the flat that would be home very soon.
2008 rocked!

The month of December had several highs. But it had lows as well. It was on December 7, 1998 that my father passed away and this year was his tenth death anniversary. Often I like to tell myself that now after so many years I have overcome that flood of emotions. However, a small incident, without any prior warning, triggers the deluge of tears. Its just by looking at my mother, who has been an inspiration of fighting back and getting back to life after every blow it dealt that I manage to live again and laugh again.


I hope 2009 turns out better than 2008 for me and for all my blogger friends as well.!!!

10 comments:

fatoori said...

:) my name on a historic blog! i like dat..i feel like mera naam itihaas ke pannon me aa gaya..
hihihi
but thanx for d acknowledgemnt. God bless you.

Toon Indian said...

I am sure it will..as it has for me!!!
cheers

Unknown said...

Wow! A house, a car, A list of BOOKS!!!! What a year babes! Hope you have many more like this (if not better) in the future.

Narayan said...

cool

vipin said...

Congrats for your Rampyaari (Spark). For some reason, car looks cute to me and similar to the one Amitabh and his family had in "Hum".

newayz, congrats once more.

yamini said...

Dear Priyanka,
Thanks for mentioning my name along with so many others, more deserving people, on your blog.
It was a pleasure to meet you in the year gone by and I really care for you, just like an elder sister (ahhh! what a blissful word "elder" is).
I am happy to know that you realised that, although, like a true U, you never let me have an inkling of that but I am glad coz being a hard nut that I am, I never gave up.
Finally, that perseverance has earned me a place on a historic blog like yours, which I am really proud of, really, I mean it dear...
Thanks once again and you are always welcome in my heart and my home...and kitchen too (I almost forgot to mention the last one)

^_^ SENO ^_^ said...

Pri u blogging lesser dan me dese days :'( LOL


i have visited ur blog after ages, but as usual its amazing !!


Happy new year >:d< mwah !!

Unknown said...

I know I am very late in commenting and even conratulating you for the allotmeent of the flat..but you never told me...I really happy...
Kinda feels strange reading your year journal and not finding myself as a part of it...gone are the days when we were part of each others each day.... miss you

Bhavesh Chhatbar said...

It is an will be better :)

Smoked Off Face at the Willingdon Crescent in Jamnagar
Birdhouses, Birdfeeders, Birdbath

Unknown said...

Dear Priyanka,

I feel proud that I know you personally. You are undoubtedly blessed one. Your poem that you have posted on 6-Dec-09 is simply touching. I am sure that your father though not with you around would continue you to admire your progress in all walks of life and continue to inspire you from his heavenly abode. It is my privilege that I came across your family during my tenure Delhi. Dear Priyanka, well in advance I take this opportunity to wish you and your mother, brother and your dear and near ones a very happy new year. May this new year take you newer heights. With love and best wishes lakshmanan.